Select Page

Occupational Therapy

I work with children who are having difficulty doing the “occupations” that they need to do. Children’s number one occupation is play. Other important occupations for young children include self-care activities like sleeping, eating, dressing, brushing teeth etc.

I asses a child’s skills, their environment and the occupations they find hard to do. My goal is to help to figure out how to improve the child’s participation in meaningful occupations. I may:

  • give activity ideas to promote the child’s skill development
  • suggest different ways for the child and his or her parents and teachers to do occupations
  • help parents, preschool teachers and daycare providers to change the environment to promote the child’s success. (When I say change the environment, I mean change adults’ expectations and/or make physical changes.) Please phone – 250-632-3144 local 207 – or e-mail –– Tara, if you have any questions about occupational therapy for children.

Executive function – If your therapist has talked about executive function, this website may be useful to you.

I-Pad apps – This website talks about I-Pad apps that occupational therapists may use or recommend. I used it to help me to find some cause and effect I-Pad apps for a child.

Canada Revenue information regarding claiming medical expenses – If you have had expenses related to your child’s medical or developmental condition, this website may be helpful.

Information to help you help your children after parental separation or divorce

  • Understanding what is being said to you (receptive language)
  • Being able to express yourself (expressive language)
  • Develop and help others to learn alternative ways to communicate e.g., pictures (alternative and augmentative communication)
  • Being able to interact with your peers (social communication/pragmatics)
  • Being able to pronounce your sounds and speak clearly (articulation)
  • Support and work with people who have stuttering
  • Support and work with people who have problems with their voice
  • Assess and support those people who have troubles eating and swallowing their food/drink

How do I know when I need to seek help from an SLP?

Our Speech-Language Pathologist, recommends Preschool Talk Box from Alberta (, where you can select your child’s age and it will provide you with the speech and language milestones, as well as some great ideas/activities to do with your child. You can also review the “Talking and Listening”, as well as, the “Speech Sounds” handouts, for a full overview of all ages.

I have concerns about my child’s speech and language development. Now what do I do? No problem! Simply contact us here at the centre, we will create a referral to the SLP program and Amie will contact you when an appointment time can be provided. Once you meet, Amie will learn more about your child, your family and your concerns.

If you feel like you need to speak to an SLP, or for more information, please contact Lori Ferriera at 250 632-3144 ext 208